|The guinea pig area|
The Piggals, a short time ago and my husband and I are building them a big habitat, but in the meantime they are living in the 8 sq ft. cage that they came home in. It's on the small size for three of them but would be well suited for two if given adequate daily playtime outside of the pen.
The Midwest Guinea Habitat cage consists of the waterproof PVS/ canvas base, interlocking wire sides, and a wire top.
We do not use the top normally, but we keep it on hand to help section off areas for the pigs to play in on the floor.
I set up the cage so that the wire side that is easiest to unhook is on the front (one side just has pins that hold the corner together) since I take the front off every day for cleaning.
I clean the guinea pig cage every morning and today is no exception; this is one day's mess.
|Guinea Pig Fancy says, |
"Hey girls! I think I smell Mama...and breakfast!"
|"Hey Buttercup, do you see Mama yet?"|
|"There she is!"|
|One day of mess for three guinea pigs.|
|Guinea Pig breakfast:|
romaine lettuce, blueberries, carrots, cucumber.
I have their Breakfast ready before I go to their cage. When I turn on my classical music and make kissy-noises at them, they know it's time for breakfast (and time for their house to get cleaned!).
|I section off an area for them to play in using the front and top of
I pull out the desk their cage sits on so they can play under it.
|Guinea Pigs eating breakfast|
|The Piggals go camping!|
Mike got a display tent from a sporting goods store and attached it to a cardboard box.
Our pets love playing in it.
|Sweep it all to the front and center.|
|Use a dust pan to hold the fleece taut while sweeping.|
|Clean the food dishes. Rinse and let dry.|
|Washing the water bottle with homemade castille soap and a bottle brush.|
Nail polish is Orly in Berry Blast.
I know there's polish-a-holics out there in piggie-land ;)
|Washing the water bottle spout and gasket with a cotton swab and castille soap.|
Nail Polish is Orly in Berry Blast.
|Wipe the pans with a disinfectant solution of vinegar and water.|
|U-Haul cotton blanket padding. |
Clean & dry. Washed weekly.
|Clean fleece blanket tucked around cotton pad. |
Washed every other day.
|Tuck the excess material around the blanket and |
keep the fleece taut for easier spot-cleaning and sweeping.
|Line the litter pans with puppy wee pads.|
|Fill corner potty with absorbent litter material.|
This is a mix of Kaytee Clean & Cozy Small Animal bedding in Lavender and Original.
|Fill the hay bin. |
I keep part of a bale in this container under their pen for easy access.
|Oxbow Essentials Adult Guinea Pig food in a clean, dry bowl.|
|Cute guinea pigs happily exploring their clean home.|
|They head right for the hay...it's their favorite!|
|Luna under the rain flap of her tent.|
"Thanks for watching our morning routine!"
- Breakfast & playtime on the floor (be careful there are no wires or other dangers!)
- Take out the dishes, toys, pigloos, etc
- Roll up & trash the wee pads
- Take out pans and wipe if necessary
- Sweep poos/litter/hay to the front and then into pan and discard
- Shake fleece blanket outside if necessary (Wash every other day)
- Make sure underside of U-Haul pad is clean and dry
- Replace the fleece blanket and straighten
- Replace the pans and line with wee pads (add litter to corner pan)
- Replace pigloos/toys, etc
- Rinse and refill water bottle
- Wipe and fill food and hay bins
- Piggies come back home!
- Weekly- All accessories cleaned (water bottle, dishes, pans, pigloos, toys, etc.)
- Weekly- Cleaning supplies cleaned (sweeper and pan, outside of the totes, food scoop, etc)
- Weekly- U-Haul cotton blanket washed
- Monthly- Canvas bottom and wire cage washed