Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Have Lunch with Me: Corndogs!

This was a particularly lazy lunch and definitely not awe-inspiring....in fact it's probably not even worthy of a blog post except that it was my first try at making these and they came out great!

Crunchy, deep fried, guilty-pleasure Corn Dogs!
Crunchy, deep fried, guilty-pleasure Corn Dogs!

It started with this:
Foster Farms Honey Crunchy Corn Dogs
Foster Farms Honey Crunchy Corn Dogs

I have never bought frozen corn dogs before, in fact I don't buy much of anything frozen except fruits, veggies, seafood, and ice cream.  I make an unattractive sour face at the thought of buying and using pre-packaged frozen meals.

BUT

I have been craving corn-dogs and I've even bought the stuff to make them from scratch, and after my husband ate all the hot dogs (again) before I got the chance to make them, I gave in when I saw these for $4.  For the mathematically impaired, that's a quarter a 'dog.  Worthy of a try.

The package had directions for microwaving, oven cooking, and deep frying.  I haven't had a microwave in almost two years so that was out (and I imagine they'd come out a bit soggy...and I wanted a crunchy-ass corndog!!).  I don't make a habit of deep frying (or any kind of frying) but if I was going to have a guilty pleasure, it might as well be a deep-fried one!

The package recommended frying 9 minutes  at 350°-375° so I added a few inches of oil, popped on my frying thermometer and turned the gas flame up to medium.  A few minutes later I dropped these puppies in and set my timer.  Using tongs, I pulled them out and set them on a towel while dolloping out a bit of Trader Joe's Organic Ketchup and Maille Dijon Mustard.

Deep frying corn dogs
Deep frying corn dogs

The payoff:  They were delish! Crunchy, lightly sweet, fully cooked, easy and quick to make, and the only cleanup was my plate and the tongs, LOL! Love it.


Ratings. Everybody loves them. Except maybe you.  Do you want my opinions boiled down to a rating?  Just comment below to let me know and if enough of you want them, then majority wins and I will start including ratings in posts that seem evaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your encouragement, support, ideas, or concerns of your own. Please stay respectful as this is a very personal blog and I try to be open and uncensored.