Thursday, July 10, 2014

Journaling about the market, picnic, mowing, and a low country boil

Mike & I had a busy Saturday:
We headed into town to go our weekly shopping and about half-way there I remembered that Saturday mornings there is a local farmer's market that we keep missing.  At first I thought it was in Orange, VA so Mike turned around to head in that direction...as soon as he did, I remembered for sure it was in Culpeper, VA which was where we were heading to begin with. Oops! On the way to Culpeper we pass Commonwealth Park which is equestrian competition grounds and there was a big show going on.  I was so torn because I wanted to stop and watch a while, but I was pretty sure the market closed at noon and we really needed some good corn, potatoes, and veggies for The Piggals (our guinea pigs).

We made it to the local market in time and there was a great selection.  We got some freshly picked corn, small red potatoes, and cucumbers from the C&T Produce stand.  I was encouraged to try the corn...even though I already had a dozen in my cloth sack.  I happily nibbled away while I browsed and Mike paid :) We had other shopping to do so I didn't pick up eggs or meat from one of the other vendors although it looked good. I was really glad we made it.

Three horses in the shade. Commonwealth Park, VA
Three horses in the shade. Commonwealth Park, VA
The shopping trip took longer than we had hoped (it always does) so at three o'clock we were soooo hungry and picked up a pizza and headed home.  I didn't want to eat in the truck and the pizza was way too hot anyway so I figured we'd find a pretty spot to park and eat.  My first thought was Mt. Pony where the Library of Congress is located. I've been up there for events before and it has a breathtaking view of the mountains, but the gate was closed and it didn't seem that anywhere else lead up to the vista.  My next idea was Commonwealth Park!  It was just a minute away so we quickly parked and found a nice spot under a shade tree next to one of the rings where the young-adult division was participating in the jumping portion of the competition.  It was great to sit and watch while we enjoyed our picnic lunch.

Enjoying our shady picnic next to this beauty
Enjoying our shady picnic next to this beauty

A young-adult jumper competing. Commonwealth Park, VA
A young-adult jumper competing. Commonwealth Park, VA

We cross the Rapidan River on our way home and we saw this
Rapidan River Mill cluttered with logs after the storm
Rapidan River Mill cluttered with logs after the storm
As soon as we got home, we unpacked, changed, and I headed out to mow!
Mowing silhouette
Mowing silhouette

Scene from the tractor - the Blue Ridge Mountains
Scene from the tractor - the Blue Ridge Mountains


Then I made my first attempt at a low country boil.
Low Country Boil  Fresh corn * smoked sausage * new potatoes * peel-on shrimp  1/2 C Old Bay * 2T sea salt * 8Q water  Boil water with seasoning.  Add potatoes. Cook 13 min.  Add corn. Cook 5 min.   Add shrimp and sausage, Cook 3-4 min.  Drain. Dump onto paper or plastic tablecloth and dig in!
Low Country Boil
Fresh corn * smoked sausage * new potatoes * peel-on shrimp
1/2 C Old Bay * 2T sea salt * 8Q water
Boil water with seasoning.
Add potatoes. Cook 13 min.  Add corn. Cook 5 min. 
Add shrimp and sausage, Cook 3-4 min.
Drain. Dump onto paper or plastic tablecloth and dig in!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your encouragement, support, ideas, or concerns of your own. Please stay respectful as this is a very personal blog and I try to be open and uncensored.